How to pick a legal case management framework for your law firm?
Legal firms are very much dependent on the legal case management software, to manage the workflow, business process and the documents. The law firm office is kept organized by the case management software, selecting the right one for your firm is thus of at most importance.
To select the best case management software for your firm, you should check the software for certain features. The features that should be looked can be roughly divided into two parts; the Essential Features and Additional Features. Let us get into the details.
- Matter-centric – The first thing to consider is whether or not the software is apt for the legal documents. The documents software is used for many industries but you should particularly look for the one that is specially made for the legal industry. It is advisable to choose the matter-centric software with an adjustable folder structure.
- Document Management and Storing – The cloud storage is the next thing that needs to be considered. The cloud storage gives an easy anytime anywhere access. The document organization should be clear and robust for the law firm employees to reach and keep track of the files easily.
- Permission Management – The legal matters are confidential, and vulnerable those are not to be disclosed. Security and privacy need to be strictly maintained. It is very critical to allow access to those who can read, edit, amend and approve the case files. Thus permission management becomes important in each legal team. While selecting the software, pay attention to the systems that enable permission-focused options to the users to work with content based on their business role.
- Version Control – For the law firms it is incredibly important to safely keep the documents after amendments are done. The most frequent type of collapse is the loss of the modified document version, resulting in the loss of time, money and most importantly the reputation that doesn’t come easily for the legal professionals.
To have this version control you can go for the informal version control system available in the market. These systems support the retaining of the complete history of changes, audit trail capturing and standardize version control. The challenge, however, is to integrate this system with your legal case management software. It is thus recommended to buy case management software that has the auto-versioning facility.
- Faceted search – The law firm manages thousands of flies of matter, and fast and precise search is what they want. Though a simple technique can be used to find things faster, the software that uses several filters simultaneously to search the document delivers accurate result in a second. For this in-depth search go for the case management software integrated with the faceted search option. Search for emails, video and voicemails, and other information is achieved by a full-text search of a legal system.
The Additional Features
- Smart Folder –This is the mechanism for structuring and filtering the content. The systems that have the smart folder option enables the users easily extract the frequently used document for the quick view. A general folder keeps being located at the core of the systems, thereby avoiding file duplicates. The smart virtual folders will benefit the legal document management platform making it easier to access the files.
- Tagging – This feature helps is unique in tagging the documents. The law firms usually have similar matters, which need to be labelled correctly to avoid confusion. Some of the case management software providers offer the platform with a wide variety of tags that can be applied to the folders and the documents. The tagging feature can be used for your convenience. You can tag the fields as Favourite, Shared, View only, Reviewed, Pending, Accepted, Declined, Referred, Recent, On hold and more such simple company references.
- Notifications – The case management software should have a built-in notification system that guarantees timely reminders for the changes in the fields, folders and/or processes. The notifications can be emailed or popped-up; this cannot be a preference though.
- Mobile Support – Today everyone is mobile, which is easy and convenient. The lawyers also prefer doing things on the mobile rather than always sitting in front of the laptop. The providers of the legal case management software should expand the software package with mobile applications. The mobile support facilitates the collection of data on the spot, review the data, click incident scene picture and add them to the case file, fill up the forms, sign with a graphical signature, and more.
- Integration with Other Systems – The law firm manages thousands of flies of matter, and fast and precise search is what they want. Though a simple technique can be used to find things faster, the software that uses several filters simultaneously to search the document delivers accurate result in a second. For this in-depth search go for the case management software integrated with the faceted search option. Search for emails, video and voicemails, and other information is achieved by a full-text search of a legal system.
To sum up, legal management software is in great demand. Technology has helped the attorney on concentrating more on the legal matter than managing the heaps of documents. The points mentioned above will help you choose the right legal case management software for your firm. If you still have any queries about the same contact us at MyCases.com.